Tuesday, June 15, 2010

It’s Time to Experiment!


Unfortunately, one size does NOT fit all when it comes to our diet. Now that we have some basic knowledge under our belts with portion sizes and servings needed to be healthy – it's time to experiment!




Our bodies are basically chemistry sets – we are mixing food, exercise, rest, and general health to see what we come up with. Food is energy. Exercise and rest dictates how our bodies use that fuel. Ask yourself: Am I tired when I eat certain foods or quantities of foods? How do I feel? Am I eating enough or too much? What combination of food makes me feel good? Do I feel better when I eat more protein?




Our bodies are also like accounting books – "The goes ins and goes outs" as my uncle likes to say. When the food that we eat matches how much or little exercise we do daily, we stay the same weight. When we eat too much and exercise too little, we will gain weight. On the other hand, when we eat less and exercise more, we lose weight. See how much your body needs to live (BMR - Basal Metabolic Rate) and daily intake should be by using any of the calorie calculators available online. Try http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htmI personally use www.fitday.com to log all of my food and exercise when I am looking to lose weight.




And remember – When you fall off the wagon, as we all have the tendency to do, your next meal is 3 hours away – get right back on and keep moving forward! There's no need to wait until Monday to get back on. Continue being "more good-er than bad-er." (thanks to Scott Smith for those words of wisdom!)




Happy Eating!
April

No comments:

Post a Comment